- 6 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ghee butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of beef stock or vegetable stock for vegetarians
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Salt, as per taste
- 8 slices French bread or baguette
- Heat ghee butter in a large, heavy stockpot on medium. Add onions then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are tender and have released their liquid, roughly for 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir often until the onions start to brown for about 15 more minutes. Then sprinkle with sugar and salt, continue to cook until the onions are well browned for about 20 to 25 minutes. If bottom of pot starts to get too dark, add 4 to 5 tbsp water.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute more. Stir in wine and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, bay leaves and thyme then bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with more salt and add freshly ground black pepper. Discard the bay leaves.
- Toast French bread on rimmed baking sheet with ghee butter. Serve on top of soup and enjoy!